Skip to main content

Girlhood to Womanhood #metoo

It was the year 1996
I was in the first year of college
Undergoing an internship
At an ad agency
With other rookies like me
We talked about books, movies galore
I found I didn’t remember much
Even then, my memory
Was like mercury to touch

All those books 
That I’d read
Seemed to have flown 
Right out of my head
I talked way too much,
Let my guard down
Enough to create 
A scandal in town

One girl told me
“The boss wants you to wear a short skirt”
I used to wear long salwars and didn’t flirt
I felt completely miserable
Coz at heart, I was still a prude
Not interested in getting friendly
With this creepy old married dude.

When I went back to college
I complained to my HOD
Who seemed to think
I was making a mountain
Out of a molehill,
And she smiled benignly at me.
One of the teachers 
Came to my house
And tried to tell me
I should complain 
Against my boss, the louse!
I wanted to have no part in it
Since by then,
I wanted to forget it all, bit by bit.

One girl from the agency
While I was still there
Had told me disturbing stories about herself
About four guys who 'loved' her
And one of them who wrote her number
On their college compound wall saying,
“Call her, she’s a whore”
I was so distressed to hear that
My thoughts started to swirl
I concluded by then
It’s quite sick to be born a girl

Years have gone by
I’ve grown stronger 
And wiser since then
What I observe these days is that
Girls much younger than me
Are so ‘in charge’ and clear
About who they are
They are not filled with fear
Nor are they timid and shy
Those are the qualities
Of the meek, who inwardly die
To survive today
You need to be bold
Else you will be always a doormat

Life’s not about doing as you're told!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Pinthecreep, honey!

A girl walks down a busy street And is leered at by some creep A catcall, a rude remark, a whistle, Making her in her discomfort, bristle Girls are often mocked and taunted And they find it hard to carry on, undaunted Let’s put an end to this #streetharassment The next time a jerk tries to act funny #pinthecreep, honey!

Gripped by Death

My body is fed eatables But that's not food for the soul My soul lies crushed Like a forgotten handkerchief  From a bygone era I feel gripped by death in every pore of my being And the negativity rises Like a wave's crest I envy those who truly live They are really blessed

#Colours

Perspectives change Over time People change their colours at will Like chameleons in the garden Or like rainbows in the sky Except that such sights in nature are a joy to behold While in humans it is not